Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Whose line is it anyway?

No, it's not a post about a Drew Carey show; things will get a little off this week as I've made two major purchases that will have my full support. Now that Blu-ray has won the High Definition format war, I broke down and ponied-up the $400 for a Playstation 3. (Damn you Sony and you're high definition games and video!) Secondly I've finally sent a hearty "Fuck YOU!" to Comcast and purchased Direct TV in HD with an HD DVR and it's getting installed today. With all that technology sitting at home waiting for a Techno Geek like me... well... you guys suffer. But it's not all bad, this means I'll actually be able to add some game film come next season now that I have a format that won't look like crap... oh my commentary will still be crap but the crap will have game film to back it up... and in 1080p! In the meantime here are some talking points for you to discuss.

It appears Joe Paterno is asking some interesting questions to Joe Tiller about naming a successor (HT: RUTS). Could retirement be far behind?

Purdue football coach Joe Tiller spent part of a recent Nike coaches trip discussing the ins and outs of coaching succession plans with another guy named Joe -- Penn State's Joe Paterno.

"He was asking me 'Why?' and 'Who?' and 'How?' " Tiller said during a telephone interview. "He didn't really tip his hand. But he did ask me 'Who's this guy?' and 'Why did I like him?' and 'Why now?' and those types of things.

"He didn't say, 'I'm thinking about this or I've got to do this.' But, after it had been announced, he seemed to be curious."

Tim Curley officially says there's nothing official.

PSU athletic director Tim Curley met recently with Paterno, though Curley said there is no timetable to make decisions about the future of college football's second-winningest coach.

"I don't think there's any deadline that's super-imperative right now," Curley said. "Obviously, when spring practice starts he gets pretty tied up and pretty focused. ... I wouldn't put a deadline on it. I don't think it has to be done before spring practice."

So let's all hurry up and wait. That's all for now. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go save the world in Call of Duty 4, plan my next two weeks of HD movie/TV watching, and take my new college basketball team (the State College Drunks) to NCAA tournament glory and fame. Perhaps Nick will be along to entertain you with one of his posts of genius (no pressure bud).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's going to be the highlight of my year, telling comcast "HEY, GO FUCK YOURSELVES" (notice, even the 'fuck' is in caps). Sad I suppose, but the truth.

Galen said...

I've given Comcast all the time (and money) I can and they refuse to carry the Big Ten Network. That and they're WAY overpriced and have only a few HD channels while Direct has 80. It's a no-brainer.

TheFolkist said...

they were the sole provider in my last DC apartment, they pulled all kinds of shit (example: not asking for the sports package, which sucks, getting it anyway, having to pay $6 to cancel said sports package)...i have a new place and a new option but the price is somehow higher...

Nick said...

Dude, you are so late to the game. I've been rocking the PS3 and DirecTV for years.

Galen said...

Better late then never bro!