Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Leaked! Joe Paterno Recruiting Indoctrination Transcript Part 2


Read Part 1 here

I just go through that playbook, literally. It's not how to run the football. It's how to use a couple passes to shatter stacking the box. Then pound them with the run. You apply it, it’s like *boom*.

Because they don’t come up to me and to say that about Jay. Uh, they won’t do that to me, not to my face you know, or anywhere in my vicinity where they feel they could be confronted you know, because I’m from Brooklyn and I won’t stand for that, we’ll throw down, I’ll curb stomp ya.

Look, I wish the world was a different place. I'd like to go on vacation, and go and romp and play, and just do that. You know what I mean? I mean, that's what I want it to be ok. You know, there's times I'd like to do that, but, but I can't because I know, I know, so, you know, you just there’s so much work, I have to do something about it. It's not, you know you can sit here and wish it was different, and then, you look at it and you go ok this is it ‘Alright. Ok.’ And there’s that moment, you know I have to do something, don't I? Yep, I really have to do it, because I can’t live with myself if I don’t and it’s that really is it. Then you have these 18-year-old kids that think they’re gods and need to be fawned every second of the day and I won’t do that. You come here because you want to come here, I don’t need to beg you.

I don't care if someone thinks it's hard or it's easy. Because you're either helping and contributing everything you can, or you're not, ok? I’m 81 years old, given my life to this university and I’m running around in practice, you come here I expect the same. Uh, because I’m carrying my load alright, and not only that as much as I’m carrying, I still feel like I gotta do more. There's still a thing of 'let's go.' I got Bobby Bowden down there at Free Shoes University bending every rule to keep that wins record and I can’t stand by and let that happen. That’s as bad as leaving college football to the Barry Switzers and Jackie Sherrills of the world.

You just can see it, the look in their eyes. You know the ones who are doing it, and you know the spectators who are the ones who are going, “well, it's easy for you or what am I doing.” That thing is, I've cancelled that in my area. [Laughs] It's like, man, you're either in or you're out. That spectatorism, and it’s something that is, we have no time for right now, go sit on the bench if you don’t want to put in the work.

So it's our responsibility to educate, create the new reality where you don’t do flips into the endzone because you want to show off and then dance around like an idiot because you want to be on Sportscenter. You know we have that responsibility to say, hey, this is the way it should be done. Because we do it this way and people are actually getting better.

And let's get it done. Let's really get it done. Have enough loyalty, compassion and toughness, that you're going to do it, and, uh, do it right.

And I have to tell you something. I really it is, you know, it's rough and tumble. And it's wild and woolly. And it's a blast, it's a blast. And it really is fun, because damnit, there is nothing better than to going out there and fighting the fight and suddenly you see *poof* the kids get it, sometimes it doesn’t dawn on them until years later that yeah the old man had a point.

I want to know that I've done everything I could, everyday. And I think of all those people out there who are depending on us. And, uh, I think about that. And it does make me feel like “man, we’ve got more work, we need more help.” I was thinking me and Sue just saw this movie called The Terminator the other day, never heard of it before, a little violent for her tastes, you know, but uh, if I could put together a team of what was Arnold Schwarzenegger playing? [answer mumbled to Joe off screen] A cyborg?! You know, cyborgs and get them to play football and still have them go to class and learn, we could really do some big things. Really, that really is how I feel about it.

I do what I can, and I do it the way I do everything [Laughs]. There's nothing part of the way for me. It’s just *woo*. [Fades out as laughing continues]

A football coach can be defined by a single question. Would you want others to achieve the knowledge you now have? In answering that question, Joe Paterno has introduced PSU technology to over 1 billion people of Earth. And that’s only the first wave he’s unleashed, which is why the story of Joe Paterno, football coach, has only just begun.

No comments: