Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shock and Awe! Daryll Clark to start

ESPN is reporting that Paterno has chosen Daryll Clark to start against Coastal Carolina this Saturday.

Coach Joe Paterno says Clark's experience and good preseason gave him the edge over Pat Devlin. Paterno says Clark, Devlin and third-stringer Paul Cianciolo have each practiced well the last three weeks.

Trust me emphasis the word experience in that statement greatly… here something like this:

Coach Joe Paterno says Clark's experience
and good preseason gave him the edge over Pat Devlin.

I've been banging this drum from the end of last season; Paterno can't help but go with the upperclassmen, he's done it for 153 years and he's not about to change now. This next sentence makes me chuckle.

Paterno says he hopes to get Devlin some playing time, too, in the season opener versus Division I-AA Coastal Carolina.

Uh huh, call me skeptical here but I'm willing to bet Devlin sees nothing but garbage time even against woeful Coastal Carolina. I have no problem with either Clark or Devlin and perhaps Daryll DID have the better preseason but I would have been flabbergasted if Paterno would have started Devlin, he just never goes with the younger guy. Anytime there's a true quarterback controversy at Penn State (read: two QB's of nearly equal talent) Paterno ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS goes with the upperclassman.

No comments: