Friday, July 25, 2008

Bell saga comes to an end

Chris Bell pleaded guilty to charges of making terroristic threats and will most likely get two years probation. Prosecutors agreed to drop charges of assault for the lesser misdemeanor charge. Thus ends the chronicle of a highly touted recruit brimming with potential that never lived up to the hype. Bell admitted himself that he just didn't put the effort forth needed to succeed at a school like Penn State.

"I don't have anything bad to say about Penn State," Bell said. "Being at Penn State, you have to do a lot of things. I think I was only doing about 75 percent of it. I would go to class, do my work, but really, I wasn't interested. Because I wasn't interested, I wasn't motivated."

Bell had all the physical attributes to succeed at a major Div I school but he never got his head on straight. Now he's found himself near his home at Norfolk State where he'll finish out his career and it appears he's found a home.

"I just love Norfolk," he said. "Me being from here is a big plus, and my family's here. People call me a momma's boy, and being a wide receiver, I'm a bit of a prima donna, but I just love it here."

For his sake I hope he doesn't plan on playing knifey-spoony again.

No comments: