Thursday, September 27, 2007

Big Ten Bloggers Roundtable

So I’ll crawl out of the bottle I’ve been living in since Saturday long enough to answer this week’s Big Ten Bloggers Roundtable. This week’s questions are brought to you by Lake the Posts, the best Northwestern blog in all the blogosphere. How do I know that you ask – because they are the only one. Want to know the meaning of the name, go on over and find out (I’ve peeked your interest now haven’t I? You’ll go there like the bored internet surfer you are). As for the questions, here they are in all their glory.

1. Michigan turned to Russell Crowe (successfully). ND went with Regis (unsuccessfully). Imagine your team is in desperate need of a pregame pep talk (no imagination needed at NU). You can bring in anyone in the world. Who do you turn to and why?

I'd have to say the only person that can make believers out this Penn State team is Jesus himself. He could promise a couple miracles on offense, a heart attack for Jay Paterno and turn some water into Gatorade.

2. What perception about your program is perpetuated to the point where it is your pet peeve? Why does it bother you so much (no, the answer does not have to be an alliteration)?

The perception that the entire offense is antiquated, while it's 100% accurate that the way the plays are called is stuck somewhere in the 70's the formations themselves are more modern. You didn't see 5 wides and the spread decades ago. No, if Penn State had formations from yesteryear we'd see the power I, veer, and wishbone. Despite the formations though, lining up and smashing the runningbacks into the middle of the line for no gain on 1st and 2nd down is so 1970's.


3. It is only week 5 of the season, but you've been asked to create your team's highlight reel for the season. You get to choose one song. What is it and why?

That's easy – Ode to My Car by Adam Sandler. Go ahead, read the lyrics and put Penn State's offense in place of "car." It fits beautifully.

got a piece of shit [offense]
That fuckin' pile of shit
Never gets me very far

It's got no CD player, it only got the 8-track
Whoever designed my [offense] can lick my sweaty nut sack
And I got no fuckin' brakes I'm
always way out of control

A stereo from the 70's, and always out of control – yeah it fits nicely.

No comments: