Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Blue & White Roundtable

It's Wednesday so you know what that means – Blue and White Roundtable. This week JB from There Is No Name On My Jersey has the questions and we've got the answers.

1. We'll start with the bad news, what is your take on PSU's off-season. The team has stated they are focusing on winning a National Title, will these off-field shenanigans get in the way of that lofty goal?

Nick:
When all was said and done, the apartment incident, while embarrassing, was a mountain made out of a molehill. Overzealous rumor and conjecture in conjunction with outrageous grandstanding by the Centre County DA's office created a fiasco. Poor judgments by all parties involved. Outside of that, there was nothing to get too bent out of shape about. The whole Quarless situation is Joe saying I warned you all after the apartment shenanigans to keep your noses clean and here you went and did something stupid. Is it serious? No, but apparently they were all talked to about staying out of trouble and they got caught off the reservation. The vote to reinstate Quarless and Beaver Stadium cleaning could ultimately bring the team closer together, strengthen leadership and be motivation in pursuit of a greater goal (They might want to try aiming for the brass ring, MNC!)

Galen:
I doubt it will cause any more trouble than it already has. It appears Scirrotto will get out of the most serious charges and the team will hopefully learn that they are held to higher standards than the regular student body. The whole Quarless incident would be completely innocuous had it not been for the apartment incident. You show me one person that has never drank before the age of 21 and I'll show you a nun.

2. Competition abounds! Give your take on the battle to start in the secondary. Do you prefer to have a rowdy competition or know who your guys will be?

Nick: Comfort creates malaise. Competition, in its best form, creates survival of the fittest and the cream will rise. The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.


If you need a friend, get a dog.

Galen: By all means, bring on the competition. It's always great when you have two talented players pushing for one position in the preseason; it usually brings out the best in both. Once the season starts I prefer that the starters are named and the "competition" ends because you never want your starters looking over their shoulders. Having said all that, I think your starter opposite Justin King is A.J. Wallace by a large margin, no matter what the coaching propaganda machine wants you to believe. It's Wallace's job to lose.

3. Describe your behavior as a PSU fan. I know some who are hand-wringing-nervous-pacers and others who are drunken-revelers-before-the-football-gods; where do you fit?

Nick: Depends if I'm alone watching a Penn State game on television, I'm extremely passionate with no regard to how much of a fool I look like: cheering, cursing and drinking excessively. At the stadium, I'm loud and boisterous, but under control, possibly a little inebriated and I like standing, a carryover from my student days. Sitting at home with my dad we'll maybe have a couple beers, I'll have outbursts, but pretty demure and keep my foolishness internal.

Galen: At the stadium I'm pretty well subdued because I don't want to be "that guy" in my section. You know… the know-it-all that could do a better job than Paterno. The guy everyone around you refers to as "coach." I cheer loudly, but I try to remain positive. At home I'm completely different. As any of my Penn State friends that come over to watch away games at my house will attest – I'm a raving lunatic. There's still a roughly patched hole in my living room wall from the last second touchdown against Michigan in 2005. I have to finish fixing that some day.

LIGHTNING ROUND!

4. White Out, friend or foe? (I think the White Out is awesome but the blue unis are great! How do you reconcile this conundrum?)

Nick: I like the White Out, but think the blue unis are the best in football. I don't know if I'm sold on a stadium-wide White Out, it's cool seeing the student section stand out.

Galen: White Outs are fantastic. I may be in the minority but I think the away unis look better then the home. I always call them the "dress whites" because they look like the clean white dress uniforms solders wear.

5. Who would you rather punch in the face: Lee Corso, Mark May, Lou Holtz, or Charlie Weis?

Nick: Lou Holtz – could not stand him growing up when he was the coach at Notre Dame. He absolutely had the stink of impropriety and the wake of scandals and probations he left behind his entire career is telling. Mark May is just an incompetent douchebag parading around under the guise of an "expert" and Charlie Weis might be a fat sack of crap, but really have issues with them in the way I despise Holtz and all his phoniness. Corso is harmless, because he's supposed to be a boob.

Galen: Lou Holtz is a blubbering idiot so I could not care less about him. I'm beginning to love Lee Corso because he's just a stooge. He knows it, embraces it and doesn't take himself seriously – how can you NOT love that? I'd choose Weis but the face fat would cushion any blow that I could dish out so that leaves May. Mark May is everything that's wrong with ESPN and he's trying to single-handedly bring down college football at the WWL. He's a Pitt grad so it makes him that much easier to hate. Without a doubt lets all hope that someday they fire Mark May.

There you have it, feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section - who do you want to punch more? Don't forget to check out the rest of the story at the following locations:
RUTS
TINNOMJ
BSD
Yurasko

No comments: