Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lavon Chisley Charged with Murder

This is one article I wish I didn’t have to write. Former Penn State Defensive End Lavon Chisley was arrested and charged with first- and third-degree murder in the death of a former PSU student. Langston Carraway, a senior in labor and industrial relations, was found dead inside his State College apartment on June 5 of this year. Carraway was stabbed 93 times and all the evidence points to Chisley. A bloody glove found at the scene had blood from the victim on the outside and Chisley’s blood on the inside. Police also found a bloody footprint that matches Chisley’s shoe size and say Chisley called a friend, Kerry Onaka and asked her to provide an alibi on June 26th.


Many Penn State fans hang their hats on the usually clean police records of their football team often referring to the discipline that Paterno asks of his players. This crosses every line imaginable. I fully understand that Chisley has been kicked off the team since the beginning of 2005 which would have been his last season anyway, but this is a sad story indeed. Somewhere along the way this kid got lost and the system failed. I’m not casting blame on the university, the football team, or the coaches; I’m simply lost for words. What could bring a person to do such a horrible act? How could someone that was once part of the Penn State family do such a terrible thing? I don’t know if we will ever know.

11 comments:

PSUgirl said...

according the the rumor mill, Chisley was never really part of the "PSU family" - attitude problems from the beginning and seriously disturbed.

It's very sad that someone didn't recognize the "signs" - but I'm sure that it's difficult to decipher which actions are rebellion/arrogance/basic athletic "violence" versus potentially criminal.

I know that PSU is a tough environment - but the kids do get a lot of attention - it's rare, these days, for a kid to be kicked off the team without some interaction from the coaching staff - whether the problem be grades/attitude/injury.

Again, it's sad. But, at least they finally "solved" a murder/disapearance in Centre County.

Galen said...

Agreed coach. The really sad part is he went from a potential NFL prospect to potentially spending the rest of his life in prison. What a waste.

Anonymous said...

From someone who was at PSU when he was up there, Lavon probably is mentally ill. Not excusing the crime though since from what I know, he used to dabble in drugs and stuff. Sad story.

fewforthemany said...

The sad part is that a PSU senior did not get to graduate becasue he was murdered. You guys are screwed up thinking its sad for the guy who killed him.

Galen said...

fewforthemany,

I don't think there is anyone that believes the real tragedy is exactly as you said - it's a sad situation all around. Hopefully justice will be served.

Anonymous said...

I dont agree, some people are lost, and confused, this wasnt lavon, I just hope that the right person serves for this, some people might not have liked him, but that dosnt mean convicting an innocent man!!

Anonymous said...

I went to High School with Lavon. A year older. He wasnt mixed up with the wrong crowd. I know because I was the wrong crowd. Always had a smile on his face and goofing off. I hope what Im reading is not true. But you never know. DRUGS can ruin a person, family and everyone around them. My prayers go out to Tom Loker his family and also to Lavon's family.
-----------JA---------------

Anonymous said...

I attended Westlake with Lavon, in fact I was in his class. I was truly shocked to hear what happened & that he might have something to do with this vicious murder.

Lavon was a good person. He was a bit more then the typical student. Academically I have no idea what his status was but regardless of grades he was an active participate in school. He played sports & he was a popular character throughout the hallways.

I have no idea if Lavon did this but I believe anyone can become capable of doing such a thing if one was caught in the "heat of the moment", if one was desperate or if one was involved in drugs. Personally drugs played a role in my life but I was able to have the opportunity to recover and move on.

I hope Lavon you are indeed innocent and you too can have the opportunity to recover and move on.

Anonymous said...

Lavon is my cousin.
thought he is guilty.
we all still have love for him.
i miss him dearly.
yea killin a man was horrible but Lavon was a great person.
Sorry this had to happen.

Anonymous said...

I went to school with LaVon. We knew each other from Elementary School on through High School. He was always upbeat and seemed to care for people. This is a very sad situation and I am sorry to all of the families involved. The last time I saw him was in 2002 and things seemed to be looking up for him. He was excited about playing football at PSU, and hopefully going into the NFL.

I hope the outcome of this is what it should be. LaVon, if you did do this, I hope you take the time now to think about what happened. If you didn't, I'm hoping for a speedy appeal so you can be with your family.

Anonymous said...

I went to middle school, high school and dated Lavon for a short time. When I heard this news, I was very surprised. Since knowing Lavon, he was always caring, loving, tender, humorous, and full of fun. My prayers go out to both families. I am deeply saddend and pray that one can find peace and clarity with this tragedy.....